Cultural Heritage Management Plans

Resources for preparing a Cultural Heritage Management Plan, including tools, forms and practice notes.

Do you have a project or development planned?

Before starting any development activities it's important you understand if it could affect Aboriginal cultural heritage. That way, your development can proceed smoothly without costly interruptions.

What is a Cultural Heritage Management Plan?

A Cultural Heritage Management Plan (CHMP) is a written report prepared by a Heritage Advisor. It includes results of an assessment of the potential impact of a proposed activity on Aboriginal cultural heritage. It outlines measures to be taken before, during and after an activity in order to manage and protect Aboriginal cultural heritage in the activity area.

When is a CHMP required?

A CHMP is required when a 'high impact activity' is planned in an area of 'cultural heritage sensitivity'. These terms are defined in the Aboriginal Heritage Regulations 2018.

In these circumstances, planning permits, licences and work authorities can't be issued unless a CHMP has been approved for the activity.

Areas of cultural heritage sensitivity include registered Aboriginal cultural heritage places, as well as landforms and land categories that are generally regarded as more likely to contain Aboriginal cultural heritage.

Areas of cultural heritage sensitivity are shown on the online map.

If the area is associated with Cultural Heritage Sensitivity check the Aboriginal Heritage Planning Tool to see if your proposed development classifies as a high impact activity and will need a CHMP.

Can I choose to prepare a CHMP even if one isn't required?

Yes. If your proposed development isn't a 'high impact activity', or if your development is not happening in an area of 'cultural heritage sensitivity', you can still choose to prepare a CHMP to ensure there are no delays if an Aboriginal place or object is uncovered.

If you're completing an activity that doesn't require a CHMP but is likely to harm Aboriginal cultural heritage, then you may still need to get a Cultural Heritage Permit. You should talk to your Heritage Advisor about what's best to do in your circumstances. 

How do I get a CHMP?

You will need to engage a heritage advisor to assist you prepare the CHMP.

As well as the costs of the advisor, fees are paid to the organisation who approves the CHMP (the Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP) for the area or Aboriginal Victoria if a RAP hasn't yet been appointed).

Find out if you need a CHMP for your development

Use the Aboriginal Heritage Planning Tool to check whether a Cultural Heritage Management Plan is required for a proposed activity.

Forms and resources

Information sheet for CHMPs including how to amend a CHMP

Approved forms

Format in which a cultural heritage management plan must be prepared

Format in which a map describing the activity area of a Cultural Heritage Management Plan must be presented

Guides, templates and checklists

Guide to preparing a Cultural Heritage Management Plan

Guide for drafting enforceable conditions and contingency plans

Spatial Data Guidelines

Cultural Heritage Management Plan checklist

Cultural Heritage Management Plan template

Aboriginal cultural heritage place assessment: Archaeological survey and excavation attributes form

Application forms and notices

Application for approval of a Cultural Heritage Management Plan

Application for approval of an amendment to a Cultural Heritage Management Plan

Notice of Intention to prepare an amendment to an approved Cultural Heritage Management Plan

Advisory and practice notes

Geotechnical investigations to prepare for a permit

Advisory Note - Exploration Licence Holders

Practice Note - Significant Ground Disturbance

Practice Note - Subsurface Testing

Practice Note - Salvage Evacuation

Open letters to heritage advisors

Reviewed 22 December 2019

Aboriginal Victoria

Was this page helpful?