The Package provides $13.6 million over two years to enable a wide range of nation-building activities and expand important services and supports for Traditional Owner groups.
This initiative builds on previous funding of $3 million over four years for the which supports Traditional Owner groups of regions without formal recognition in the Mid North West, Central North, North East and Far East Gippsland regions.
The Package will be delivered and overseen by the Nation-building Support Services Partnership comprising of the Federation of Victorian Traditional Owner Corporations (Federation), First Nations Legal & Research Services (First Nations) and Aboriginal Victoria, Department of Premier and Cabinet (Aboriginal Victoria).
The Partnership will ensure that the Package:
- is flexible and responsive to the goals and objectives of Traditional Owner groups
- can accommodate a broad range of priorities and recognises the holistic nature of Traditional Owner business
- is coordinated to avoid unnecessary duplication and to maximise resources across the state
What is the Package?
The Package includes:
Nation-building Resource Pool ($4.335 million)
Traditional Owner groups across Victoria can access flexible funding for nation-building and treaty readiness activities. A maximum of $280,000 over 2 years is available to each formally recognised Traditional Owner group and to each region currently without a formally recognised Traditional Owner group.
The Nation-building Resource Pool will be administered by the Federation, with decision-making about the allocation of funds to be a function of the Partnership.
Research and mapping support ($0.747 million)
First Nations will provide additional research with and mapping of structures for Traditional Owner groups currently without formal recognition. This research will be carried out independent of government.
Research and mapping support commenced in June 2020 and is funded for two years. To find out more contact:
Ellen Maybery, Acting Principal Legal Officer
Nation-building support services ($1.400 million)
Dedicated nation-building services will be expanded by Package:
- Foundational support by Aboriginal Victoria ($0.246 million) - Resources to enable delivery of the Strong Roots for Our Futures Program.
- Recognition support by First Nations ($0.273 million) - Legal advice and meeting support for Traditional Owner groups pursuing formal recognition through the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006, Native Title Act 1993 or the Traditional Owner Settlement Act 2010.
- Treaty readiness by the Federation ($0.881 million) - Treaty readiness and nation-building activities and resources in response to priorities identified by Traditional Owner groups.
Engagement Officers ($4.098 million)
Engagement Officers in formally recognised Traditional Owner corporations and in the regions of Mid North West, Central North, North East and Far East Gippsland will support Traditional Owner groups access to the Package and other supports.
All formally recognised Traditional Owner groups can access funds through the Package to employ an Engagement Officer full time for two years. Engagement Officers for regions without formally recognised Traditional Owner groups will be employed by Aboriginal Victoria (refer to contact details below):
Mid North West
Kathleen Terrick, Traditional Owner Regional Engagement Officer
Corey Kelly, Traditional Owner Regional Engagement Officer
Curtis Reid, Traditional Owner Regional Engagement Officer
Far East Gippsland
The Package also includes $3 million to maintain and support the core functions of the Federation, enabling advocacy and policy development to strengthen political and practical outcomes for Traditional Owner groups.
How can I find out more information about the Package?
You can contact:
Greg Kennedy, Manager, Traditional Owner Nation-building
Reviewed 15 September 2020