Travel Support Policy (Pilot)
This is the Travel Support Policy for the Strong Root for Our Futures Program.
The policy sets out travel support available for Traditional Owners to carry out their own activities, meetings and projects through the Strong Roots for Our Futures Program. It is not provided as support for government engagement.
Travel support needs to be accounted for in all meeting and project budgets. The amounts outlined in this policy are the maximum amounts available, however Traditional Owners holding meetings and carrying out projects can set their own budget for travel up to these amounts, to provide greater flexibility regarding the use of resources.
Travel support is capped to ensure distribution of support to groups across the regions. The Program will make every effort to apply this policy consistently to all workshops, meetings and activities.
Types of support
Assistance is available to Traditional Owners for travel, accommodation and meal costs associated with Program activities including training, meetings and projects.
Payment of a kilometre allowance
Travel assistance for private vehicles can be provided by kilometre allowance of:
- $0.50 per km up to a maximum distance of 1,200km / $600 per meeting per car
- The allowance will be paid for the kilometres travelled between the claimant’s principal residence and the place of the meeting and return via the most reasonably direct route.
- Distances will be calculated using Google maps and payments calculated accordingly.
- Assistance will be paid by electronic transfer. Bank account details must be provided 3 weeks prior to the event.
- 50% of payment will be provided prior to the meeting and 50% following completion of the travel form provided at the meeting or activity.
- Where a participant is paid 50% prior to a meeting and does not attend, then at the next meeting that the participant attends travel support will be paid 100% following completion of the travel form provided at the meeting or activity.
- Any other travel costs, including toll charges or incidentals, will not be paid for or reimbursed.
Reimbursement of fuel or public transport costs
Travel assistance can be provided by reimbursement of fuel or public transport receipts:
- Assistance will be paid by Aboriginal Victoria.
- Fuel receipts will be reimbursed, capped at $600 per car per meeting.
- Public transport tickets will be reimbursed, capped at $600 per person per meeting.
- Reimbursement will be paid within 30 days of production of receipts and completion of a reimbursement form.
- Reimbursement is for travel between the claimant’s principal residence and the place of the meeting and return via the most reasonably direct route.
- Taxi’s and flights will not be reimbursed.
Accommodation and meals
Accommodation and meal costs can be provided where this facilitates the outcomes of the activity or meeting. Where the Program is providing direct support:
- Accommodation and meals will be booked and paid for by the Program. The Program will talk with Traditional Owners to seek to meet their needs in making these arrangements.
- Accommodation must be organised before the meeting or activity.
- Overnight accommodation can be provided where a participant is unable to travel one way or return from their home to the meeting on the day of the meeting.
- Traditional Owners who do not take up accommodation and meals arranged by the Program will need to make their own arrangements at their own cost.
- The Program can meet accommodation and meal costs only. Alcohol, mini bar, telephone or other personal expenses must be paid by the persons incurring them and settled directly with the accommodation provider before checkout.
- In the event that the Program has booked accommodation and a person’s plan changes so that they do not require accommodation, that person must contact the Program asap (or the accommodation place directly) to cancel the arrangement.
- Meals associated with a meeting or activity must be pre-arranged with the Program and may include:
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner at meetings and activities through pre-arranged catering
- Breakfast and dinner charged back to the accommodation capped at: breakfast $25.20, lunch $28.75 and dinner $49.60
- Self-catering for meals where facilities allow for this e.g. BBQ dinner
This policy has been developed following advice provided during extensive engagement with Traditional Owners, recorded in the “” report. This policy will be reviewed in June 2020. The review will consider Traditional Owner experiences accessing support as well as the Program budget, outcomes and distribution of support across the regions.
Reviewed 05 February 2020